
Monday in Madurai. Low key day since we are a little under the weather, Steve has a cold and I just feel run down. We expected this due to the change in climate, air pollution and different beds. Steve blames it all the hotel A/C and going in and out of cold to hot temperatures. He is probably right. However, we did make it to the wholesale flower and food market – markets always offer a cornucopia of colors perfect for picture taking. Me like taking pictures and so far have way, way too many.
Yesterday was a fantastic day as we started with a personal guided tour of the Meenashi Temple. Pilgrims from all over the country flock here for blessings and to obtain purity from the temple. The temple is named after one of the wives of Shiva (one of two primary mythical gods) – the one and only wife that kept him from “wandering”. To make sure he doesn’t wander still, they take a statue of him hidden in a silver chariot to Meenashi’s bed chamber. We witnessed the nightly procession which was truly amazing and very strange – horns blowing, incense, drums, ceremony, etc. We have great video of the procession and ceremony. It is a very sacred place with several colorful temples. I was counseled at one point because I used my left hand instead of my right to take some of the orange turmeric goo from the monkey statue which you then put on your forehead for purification. We saw 4 weddings at the temple and were welcomed to congratulate them and take photos. By the way, almost all marriages are arranged by the parents. Really cool!!! For lunch had a nice cup of chai and lunch on a banana leaf eaten by the “right” hand only!! Left hand is used for other things.
Cultural Bytes:
-For some strange reason the people here bobble their heads like one of those bobble head dolls. I can’t tell if they are saying yes or no.
-Many opportunities for miscommunication here, making me very nervous about planning the remainder of the trip – better stick with the internet. I only inquired about a guide for the temple and the next morning they woke us up telling us our guide was waiting for us. Steve booked a driver through a barber (hmmm) and the guy came a day early and then still messed up the time even after Steve wrote it all down for him. They speak English and I thought we did too, but I’m constantly saying “Excuse Me” at least 3 or 4 times. By the way, I didn’t know that Indigo was a car?
-The masala chai is fantastic
-Madurai streets are filthy and the smells are what we imagined for Delhi. Traffic is worse than Naples and air pollution thick. Kind of similar to Bangkok, yet women wear gorgeous saris and they are picky about other hygiene conditions. Somehow it all works and is magical.
-Article in today’s “The Hindu” newspaper: “Vasectomy camp at Melur today..a no scalpel vasectomy camp…the sum of 1,100 rupees ($25) will be given to those who undergo vasectomy and 200 rupees ($5) to the motivator.”
Laurie
Hey Laurie.. I wanted to try posting a comment to see if it would work for you.
ReplyDeleteMoira
Arranged marriages fascinate me! Great that you got to see the weddings.
ReplyDeleteI took a yoga class on Monday.
Barbara
Barbara, I'll come back with some good yoga tips.
ReplyDeleteLaurie
I love the picture of Pilgrimage to Meenakshi Temples. It looks awesome.
ReplyDeleteFrom Karly
karly, I am so impressed with your computer skills. I love hearing from you.
ReplyDeleteLaurie
Thanks Laurie. Like all day Saturday I was on the caomputer trying to figure out how to get grandma on to your blog and at first I thought you didn't invite her but then I went to her e-mail and it was there so I clicked on it and turns out Lynn already made a blog account for her so she is in but I just hope she remebers what to do. I even wrote it down for her.
ReplyDeleteI wish you were back and someday I'll come back over to Washington D.C. so I can cook with Steve, that was awesome!
Karly